PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which ATPL Exams to Resit ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 13:47
Continental Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATIS31,

I would urge you (if the finances permit) to get your CPL/IR issued before your ATPL exam credits expire - I’ve been in your position and you don’t want to go there.
There is a bit of misinformation in this thread but RTN11 is correct in what he says regarding the time scale.

I was in a position of having a CPL (completed at Tayside) but before I could do my IR I was offered a flying position if I got an FAA CPL ME IR. So I borrowed more money and went down that route.
I ended up in a very fortunate (and slightly bizarre) position of eventually flying a Gulfstream G450 on an American licence but having my ATPL credits expire. Long story.

I have now almost completed them again but ironically despite real world flying experience have found them harder than before. The system has changed to the new Quadrant exam style with a massively modified question bank.
You have four months before the expiry - I would go to Florida and sign up with a school such as EFT or EAA. The weather will be very good now. They can get you an EASA CPL, FAA ME IR which you could convert back in Europe with a 15hr course.

I have now taken 25 ATPL exams in total - 3 to go. Even as a relatively experience pilot it is tough going to find the motivation again. Avoid it mate and get flying!