PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA licence holder flying in the UK on an FAA certificate.
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 12:54
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I should clarify. From the research I've done, there are three ways of flying in the UK on a foreign PPL:

All require a licence verification by the issuing authority - that's the bit that is valid for 6 months, in case you want to use it for other purposes, like conversion.

1: SRG2140: FAA certificate holders can 'self declare' - and fly until 8th April or BASA whichever comes first. Requires an examiner to endorse your knowledge of AIR LAW, but an EASA exam pass or other Part-FCL licence will be acceptable. (This is what I specifically enquired about) I believe it comes in the form of an email which you keep with your licence.

2: SRG2141: Other ICAO PPLs wanting to fly for less than 28 days per year - validation with no specific expiry date. Must complete acclimatisation flight with an EASA FI

3: SRG2139: Other ICAO PPLs wanting to fly for more than 28 days per year - validation issued for 1 year. Requires a skill test for PPL or PPL/IR. Extendable once provided you're on a course at an ATO. (Since it requires a skill test, it's probably easier (if you've got over 100 hours and don't need to IR validated) to pass Air Law and HPL and get a full EASA PPL issued.

All options require English level 4, either on your foreign licence or seperate FRTOL if you want to operate radio equipment. This might mean asking for the endorsement to go on the licence.

Last edited by rudestuff; 23rd Nov 2017 at 16:43.