PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Pilot Retention Rates & Bonuses
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 20:48
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

No universal assignments, Okie!!! None, nada, nyet, noway.com a different The single seat jets need folks with different skill sets than the multi-crew olanes.

Was there in early 70's and saw it. Wasn't a month or two until first fatality on a night range mission - single seater outta The Beach.

OTOH, I helped check out the Ohio C-119 guys in the A-37, and they adapted for the most part. The plane was easy to fly and we had experience with the Vee that had never even had a driver's license!!

The move for some Reserve units was challenging, but the Guard was less of an effort back then because most of them flew old fighters.

I do like the idea of a two year tour in "heavies" for the fighter pilots, but the other way around could be challenging. Several of my buddies did it and one even flew over Hanoi in LBII. The another made stars and had a great career after I checked him out in the Sluf.

It is still the ops tempo and the uncertainty the pilots face that are the drivers. I only saw it from 1966 to 1975. The next generation saw it from 1991 and onward. Plus, there's no firm path as I went thru.

Gums opines...