PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Pilot Retention Rates & Bonuses
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 13:51
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Delta preferred Navy pilots. The gouge was that for interview purposes you couldn't be a Catholic or drive a Corvette. Be careful what you say at the Barbecue Kitchen during the lunch break. And don't rock in Dr. Janus' chair during the psych eval.
You forgot the 'slide puzzle' on the secretary's desk.

You know, I went thru that drill in ATL in 1972 with the usual group of 'fawning psycophants'...."Honest sir, all I've ever wanted to do is be a Delta pilot."

Said to myself, this is ridiculous and took a full time job with the Arizona ANG. 6 months later when Delta said you're hired, I told 'em I had changed my mind.

A good feeling and ultimately one of my better decisions.

Back in the 60s & 70s getting out was the only way to have a chance of doing what most really wanted to do....and that was to 'just fly airplanes' and not be at the mercy of the personnel system....'get your PME done, do your rated supp, you've got to get a 'sponsor', be a good staff guy, etc.' ROTC grad, I got a DG regular commission out of pilot training and gave it up to go to....

....the ANG where you were your own personnel officer and determined your own career path.

Ops tempo or lack of incentives, there are folks that relish the life as long as they can just fly, and really aren't necessarily any less intelligent or less capable than the command motivated 'fast burners'....just less interested.

Last edited by OK465; 22nd Nov 2017 at 14:19.