PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentinean Submarine down - USN rescue team mobilised
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 12:47
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trim Stab
The SBS used to be able to egress from submerged submarines - i would guess they still have the capability now. But as you can imagine it takes a lot of training, and I doubt anybody would want to try it from 75m. I don't know whether the Buzeo Tacticos have the capability.

As I said earlier, it would be perfectly possible to surface from 75m using compressed air. An oxygen partial pressure of 1.8 is higher than generally risked by sensible divers (we use a max of 1.4 on bottom, and 1.6 on deco stops), but USN divers do go to 2.0 in extremis and for short periods. It would not even require much gas - ascent would take about 4 mins, at average depth of around 5ATA, so approx 20*4*5 = 400l - so easily possible even with a tiny 5l tank.
Thank you for your comments, would they need to be placed in a chamber in the event of such an ascent? Would a German designed and built submarine have a need for a lock out chamber in view of their normally relatively shallow water operations? Having had a tour round an 'O' class submarine I didn't notice a chamber?

As I said before, respect but you are all mad completely mad.