PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things you consider before a flight?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 08:23
mustafagander

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
extricate, S/O flying means many things but one very important one I found was to always know what you would do during the sector and mentally fly the aircraft. I mean think taxi speed, holding lines, rotate technique, clean up, the rest of the sector, in short mentally do the lot.
If you are new to the route structure and unfamiliar with the routes, when you get your roster ask the dispatch people to give you a copy of the flight plans for the flight say two days prior to your operation so you can do your homework. Think LSA, diversion ports, field approach and arrival not forgetting taxi routes. I looked like a mug on an early promotional training sector when I had neglected to work out a taxi route - cost many beers.
It goes without saying but I'll say it - be 110% on top of ALL SOPs. A good tip is to think that were you in command, what support would you (will you!) want from your S/O and work hard to provide it. Never forget that the crew almost invariably has a wealth of experience and company knowledge so, in a quiet time in crz, ask about stuff you're not really certain of. That's for starters!
Under no circumstances fall into the mind set that you're just the S/O so you can get away with sloppy work. You likely can but believe me, it will be noticed and besides, you're a professional aviator so act the part.