PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of 100 hourly's
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 04:16
Lead Balloon

Received 443 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by A Squared
OK, so apparently, I wasn't missing any context, that CASA really does have regulations prohibiting this.

All I can say is your regulatory agency is completely out of control and has lost all perspective. Ho-Leee Crap!!!!!. I'm gonna stop complaining about the FAA!!!!
For pilot-performed maintenance CASA’s logic goes something like this:

If you do maintenance on an aircraft and you’re not authorised to do it, you’re a dangerous criminal.

There’s a reg that sets out what maintenance various classes of people are authorised to do.

Pilots of class B aircraft (essentially aircraft that aren’t certified in the Transport category or used in RPT) are authorised to do the maintenance set out in a schedule to the regulations (Schedule 8).

If the maintenance isn’t in Schedule 8, a pilot is not authorised to do it (unless separately authorised as e.g licensed maintenance engineer).

Complete jacking of an aircraft isn’t in Schedule 8.

Therefore, any pilot who carries out a complete jacking of an aircraft is a dangerous criminal. That includes private pilots jacking their own aircraft on their own private premises. (However, I should note: There may be different (more ‘relaxed’) rules for Experimental aircraft.)

The equivalent to Schedule 8 in the FARs is paragraph (c) of Appendix A to FAR 43. I don’t see any prohibition on complete jacking of aircraft. The overarching restriction on the list of maintenance tasks is that the task must not “involve complex assembly operations”.

This is a manifestation of why GA in Australia is so much healthier and safer than in the USA.