PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condition for Vortex Ring
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 03:12
r22butters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling
Fijdor/Newfie:

I'm going to put your lack of knowledge about this subject down to definition misunderstanding.

And I'm not going to waste any more of my life trying to educate people who haven't thoroughly researched the subject properly.

I can't force you to DYOR.

VRS is a DEVELOPED state. It is a situation where you as the pilot become a passenger. VRS will always end in disaster if there isn't sufficient height between you and the ground. If you have sufficient height - then an attempt at recovery often leads to a successful outcome - but not always.

INCIPIENT vortex ring [IVRS] is what people like you have 'probably' been into (due to your long line work) several times. You have 'probably' noticed the symptoms of the ONSET of VRS (which is IVRS) and responded appropriately, resulting in a fairly rapid and unexciting recovery. Probably within a couple of hundred feet.

Now there are DOZENS of very well discussed conversations on Pprune which dive deep into this subject matter. My advice to you two is to find an hour or two and go sit in a quiet corner and research more thoroughly the subject of VRS.

If you are either american or american trained, it is also essential you learn the difference between VRS and Settling with Power (SWP), because for some obtuse and bizarre reason, even your own FAA believe the two, are one and the same

Please find time (even at your level of competency) to research the following:

VRS versus IVRS.

and

VRS versus SWP.

I continue to be amazed by how many so called professional helicopter pilots out there STILL don't understand basic aerodynamic concepts.

Frightening............................
Here in America VRS and SWP are the same thing, so there's no need to learn the difference!