PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burst tyre behind Concorde crash-report
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2002, 02:45
sabenapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Some plausible answers to those so-called important questions:

-)the grossly overweight take-off:
If I understand it correctly we are talking here of something around one ton of overweight, which is less then 1% of the MTOW! Grossly is not really the correct word. Besides, with average weights for both pax, luggage and cargo, I wonder how many loadsheets showing us as loaded slightly below maximum take-off weight should actually show an overweight situation...

-)a tailwind departure:
Did you really think that as a pilot you are in a position to request for a more favourable rwy on mega-airports like CDG or LHR??

-)shutting down an operating engine close to the ground:
Remember the Concorde has 4 engines, which involves a different philosophy then on the more common twins in case of engine problems. Contrary to twins, here an engine may be shut down in case of a fire as soon as the plane is in a stable flight situation. When the flight engineer closed the engine, this definitely was the case...

I.S.O. asking for superhuman performances, knowledge and insights from the Concorde flight crew in order to fly their plane out of a catastrophe, we'd better spend our time on how it is possible that a US based airline flies transatlantic flights with a plane almost falling apart, parts wich were not even original and thus not certified!