PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uber ruling and self-employed pilots
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2017, 15:55
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uber ruling and self-employed pilots

This one seems to have gone under the radar and avoided comment. I wonder what affect it might have on the pilot work-force in some areas. I appreciate this might be applicable only in areas where English law abides, but within EU would there not be similar criteria in other countries?
Perhaps a more legally trained colleague could make poignant comment.

Written in Daily Telegraph on November 11.

"Yesterday, The Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT)
ruled that Uber’s drivers qualify as workers, upholding a decision made against Uber last year.
It raises the prospect that Uber will have to give its drivers their rights such as….. and holiday pay.
Uber argued that its divers were self-employed and that it is a mere intermediary between them and passengers.
The appeal judge wrote, “The Employment Tribunal was entitled to conclude that there was a contract between Uber and the drivers whereby the drivers personally undertook work for Uber as part of its business of providing transportation services to passengers.”
Uber drivers are paid on the journeys they complete.
Uber managers says that “drivers choose to work with Uber because they value the freedom to choose if, when and where they drive.” The intend to appeal the ruling of the EAT.

The case had been brought by The Independent Workers Union of Great Britain on behalf of a couple of drivers. They claim “Uber are making a mockery of workers’ rights and supposed employment rights.” The government needs to enforce the law."