PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 13:44
aox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aa777888
I've already stated that I very much like traffic information in the cockpit, and that I've done more than what is mandated in the US in that respect, so clearly I feel it has value. Indeed, I'd happily pay for something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0UZWn4bnGY

when they get it to be that good (AeroGlass is shipping, but it's nowhere near like what you see in that Hollywood production of a Youtube video).

However, I don't agree with requiring people to spend more than the rest of their aircraft is worth, sometimes much more, on avionics mandates.

A tablet and a crappity ass USB radio dongle can do better than the vast majority of the GA avionics already installed for achieving situational awareness. If you can make meeting the mandate that inexpensive, then I'd be all for it.

Anyhow, you can have all the technology in the world, and until we take the pilot out of the loop aircraft will still hit each other in mid-air.
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
If the view in the video is what the pilot was looking at.... one has to ask: Where was his lookout scan? He didn't move his head once.
Well, there isn't much point in looking out when the sky to one side is masked off with a software-generated artificial curtain.

That bit where it's quite near the airspace, all red cross-hatching and so on, there could be an aircraft in there and about come out of it, either very soon or a potential encounter in a few minutes time, and the so-called augmented reality would be hiding it from being seen by eye

Maybe even the rectangles forming the tunnel it's going along inside could temporarily partly mask an aircraft slightly higher or lower.

Sometimes things that are supposed to be more conspicuous are surprisingly not. I can remember standing on different days on an airfield with a set of chimneys a few kilometres to the south. In certain conditions of light and haziness the middle third of the height of the chimneys was completely invisible. Red and white stripes had suddenly become excellent camouflage.