PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 13:07
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 426 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by aa777888
I've already stated that I very much like traffic information in the cockpit, and that I've done more than what is mandated in the US in that respect, so clearly I feel it has value. Indeed, I'd happily pay for something like this:

when they get it to be that good (AeroGlass is shipping, but it's nowhere near like what you see in that Hollywood production of a Youtube video).

However, I don't agree with requiring people to spend more than the rest of their aircraft is worth, sometimes much more, on avionics mandates.

A tablet and a crappity ass USB radio dongle can do better than the vast majority of the GA avionics already installed for achieving situational awareness. If you can make meeting the mandate that inexpensive, then I'd be all for it.

Anyhow, you can have all the technology in the world, and until we take the pilot out of the loop aircraft will still hit each other in mid-air.
If the view in the video is what the pilot was looking at.... one has to ask: Where was his lookout scan? He didn't move his head once.