PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 10:30
Dan_Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RIP, those poor souls. There but for the grace of God go I.

We are all aware, the first and most import rule of airmanship, is lookout. With this in mind, how are we supposed to fly accurately, for flight test purposes/standards and keep a good lookout? You cant do both to the extent required. Something has to be sacificed. VfR on instruments? These days I get that impression.

Flying training now days seems to be orientated around airline type flying. We are and have been getting away from the basics for sometime. I would rather a student or pilot maintain a better lookout than accuracy in uncontrolled airspace, especially. I have flown with pilots who insist on covering the windscreen with newspaper ASAP after airborne. Some of them, very experienced Captains. How's that for airmanship?

My post does not point the finger at anyone in this case or others. There will always be collisions.

I am not qualified to comment on Helicopters but suffice to add, the visiblity is much greater from a Helicopter.

I am a little surprised to see Accidents and Close calls situated in the Non Airline Forums. Does this mean, "airline" personal aren't exposed to, or interested in the results of human faillings? I do wonder.

Last edited by Dan_Brown; 20th Nov 2017 at 14:02.