PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British airways pension to close.
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 09:15
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DC has some positives and is just a savings policy over the long run. Like all investments there are risks to the capital but a diverse portfolio and balancing should mean a positive result in the medium to long term. Equities have out performed historical performance by a big margin over the last 5-8 years. Between 1900 to the crash of 2008 the mean return on equities is approximately inflation plus 4%. The responsibility to financially plan lies with us. Paying the minimum is not an option and in reality we should be looking to pay in a combined contribution of between 25-30% of our salary. Yes it's a lot but if I say 14% from us and 16% from the company it's not so bad. Even with a low return and taking the full lump sum it should deliver a reasonable pension with a retirement at 60 having paid in for 30 years. I look at it like this. The better half is good at spending but less so at saving. She often says that it never seems like I really earn more as my salary improves but what she does not realise is that each time it does i up my contributions. Best case I good pension, worst case I don't get to enjoy my pension but know that the DC pot built up will look after my family. My parent have a great pension but their retirement is not how they envisaged it. Career professionals in medicine and their regret now is working to hard for too long which robbed them of the retirement they can fund but are unable to live. Not sure they would take it so well if a jacked in BA to fly float planes in the Maldives but you get the jist.