PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 09:15
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fireflybod states "Emergency avoiding action is not in the syllabus for PPL/CPL (although 45 degree bank turns are). Maybe it should be?".

I have always taught 45 degree banked turns followed by 60 degree banked turns. During the briefing I make it clear that this exercise is to build on the students coordination and accuracy. However I also brief at the same time avoiding turns and spiral dive recovery.

On completion of turn steep turns exersise, I teach avoiding turns and the spiral dive recovery. I think it is essential that the student can fly a 60 degree turn on full power through 90 degree heading change in the correct direction. The reason is that I feel collision avoidance should be instinctive. For that reason I cover it on renewals.

The lookout and clock code should be breifed and taught in the very early stage, not least because the student is your second pair of eyes. the other skill is how to teach your student how to remove dead bugs from the windscreen.

HP & L covers collision avoidance, I do not have a problem with 'constant angle' taught in theory, but I think collision avoidance should on the whole be taught as a practical skill. There was, I think a CAA safety sense leaflet on collision avoidance at one time, and likewise in the earlt days of CRM it was on the CAA syllabus,. I never understood why, as you would think that a CPL or ATPL would have covered that in training.