PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 08:36
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TangoAlphad
I taught up to 60° although I do recall that it is now only required to 45° in UK land. I however did teach it as primarily an evasive manoeuvre as it felt like a more likely use and one I had to use a few times myself. I agree though it should be firmly in the syllabus as an avoiding manoeuvre.
Perhaps we should go further and teach turning past 60 degrees of bank,up to the buffet, Max. rate, as we called it in the RAF, rarely used or needed in civil aviation but would also give the student a better understanding of his aircraft performance. Not asking for military standards by a ppl student but would, aat least serve as an introduction to such turning performance , it's not a particularly difficult exercise.

Perhaps , too, instructors could at least demonstrate the emergency break, an application of max rate turning, which might, just might, one day prove useful., regularly practised in the RAF, and used in anger by myself, and no doubt others, a few times, and just once in civil life when a 727 on another FIR frequency, at FL 330 was cleared through my level, 350 , to 370 That was before TCAS but lookout saved the day.

I doubt it's even mentioned in the ppl syllabus.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 20th Nov 2017 at 09:00.