PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of 100 hourly's
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 00:18
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eddie Dean,
In my case the 10 inch pounds was in the fine print of the paperwork that came with the tube (not a valve fitting for a tubeless tyre), but I have also seen it in general fitting instructions for more than one brand.
In each case, for the little metal yellow cap, it has been 10 inch pounds.

That it is not in ATP docs. is not definitive, it is the "MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS ----- da da da " that count.

As for "made up" you remind me of a colleague in another state, who, for years, was of the view that some of the horror stories she heard about CASA were "made up" to cover people who "must have been guilty, otherwise why would CASA have taken action".

Then her long standing "airworthiness surveyor" (there is an old term for you) retired and a new full on crusading AWI turned up, and she was comprehensively "done over". Even had to fend off a charge of having "unapproved aviation parts and components on a CASA approved site" ---- they were bits of an outboard motor that one of the guys was working on.

In another case, the AWI decided that whole Experimental Amateur Built aircraft were not "aircraft" (or some such description) in law and should not even be in the same hangar as ICAO Annex 8 C.of A aircraft maintenance, and forced that company to move such aircraft and Recreational Aviation Australia registered aircraft to a separate hangar.

He also got into trouble with his license due recent experience, said CASA AWI claimed that working on non-Annex 8 aircraft did not count for the recent experience requirement for working in the industry -- I forget the precise words in the regulations.

That LAME, one of the most conscientious and thorough aircraft maintenance persons I have ever known (and I have known a few) as a result of the continual debilitating CASA harassment, got out of the aviation business.

Indeed, for a time, we were flying aircraft out of the jurisdiction of that CASA office, because doing an annual or a 100 H inspection was a nightmare of randomly imposed additional requirements. We could not afford the costs and delays, particularly the delays of not being able to close up a job on completion, until this AWI has made his own "condition inspection", which he dd at his leisure.

Given my long experience, I have no trouble believing any horror stories of CASA atrocities.

Tootle Pip!!

PS: A while back, one office went on a purge of registration letters, size, proportion, and especially not vertical. As I am sure you, with your experience, know that incorrect portions of rego. letters is a leading cause of death and destruction in aviation, and probably also causes ingrown toenails and post-natal depression.