PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 18:55
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell_ringer
@aa777888

Risk is everywhere but in a regulated environment it also implies risk management.
Risk management implies some degree of control in influencing the outcome.
Having to rely on someone else's ability to see you, in this instance seemingly requiring xray vision, seems futile especially since uncivilized regions like ours have other techniques, as per @hot&hi's post, to help mitigate situations where an eyeball can fail.
Aviate, navigate & COMMUNICATE.

Can't help but think that see and avoid alone should have retired along with the tigermoth.
I've already stated that I very much like traffic information in the cockpit, and that I've done more than what is mandated in the US in that respect, so clearly I feel it has value. Indeed, I'd happily pay for something like this:

when they get it to be that good (AeroGlass is shipping, but it's nowhere near like what you see in that Hollywood production of a Youtube video).

However, I don't agree with requiring people to spend more than the rest of their aircraft is worth, sometimes much more, on avionics mandates.

A tablet and a crappity ass USB radio dongle can do better than the vast majority of the GA avionics already installed for achieving situational awareness. If you can make meeting the mandate that inexpensive, then I'd be all for it.

Anyhow, you can have all the technology in the world, and until we take the pilot out of the loop aircraft will still hit each other in mid-air.