PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of 100 hourly's
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 09:00
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am considering buying an aircraft but overwhelmed of the costs involved, can anyone give constructive feedback?

My way of thinking is
1) It is an asset
2) You have control over it
An aircraft is a depreciating high cost liability rather than an asset. Unless you are using it regularly for business or have a way of making money with it, forget it.

Look at purchase cost, insurance (inexperienced pilot), hangarage, maintenance, landing fees, fuel etc. I'm assuming you don't know too much about aircraft at this stage and wouldn't be able to tell what to avoid, a salesman will smell this a mile off. Do you know what an A/D, service bulletin and TBO are ? Don't be embarrassed, I'd be the same if I was looking at a yacht.

Learning to fly, you will probably start out on a simple type such as a C152 and move onto constant speed prop/retractable gear and finish off on a basic twin so 2-3 different types before your CPL is issued.

Having control means if the aircraft goes U/S while you're training you have to get it repaired compared to the school finding you another one.

Purchase appreciating assets such as property, lease depreciating ones.

If it flies, floats or f****, rent it.