PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kuwait Airways Refusing Israeli Passengers Again
Old 19th Nov 2017, 07:25
Avenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half the story:

A German court has ruled that the Kuwaiti national airline can legally refuse to seat and fly Israeli passengers.

The case dates back to 2016, when Kuwait Airways canceled the ticket of an Israeli student who had booked a seat on a flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok after realizing that he held an Israeli passport. Kuwait Airways offered to book him a seat on a different airline, but "Adar M," as the plaintiff was known in court filings, refused the offer and sued for alleged discrimination.

Kuwait does not recognize the state of Israel, and has a law on the books barring Kuwaitis from entering "into an agreement, personally or indirectly, with entities or persons residing in Israel, or with Israeli citizenship.”

On Thursday, a court in Germany sided with the Kuwaitis — saying the company would face repercussions at home for violating national law.

The passenger’s lawyer, Nathan Gelbart, called the ruling a "shameful verdict for democracy and for Germany in general.” The Central Council on Jews in Germany likened the law to Nazi era restrictions.

The German foreign ministry said Friday morning that they will push for a change of heart by the Kuwaitis. "It is incomprehensible to me that in today's Germany a passenger cannot board a plane simply because of his nationality,” Germany’s deputy foreign minister, Michael Roth, told the German daily newspaper Die Welt.

Although the airline offered a solution the passenger decided to take this action..why?

The aircraft represents the State of Kuwait and as such has to abide the the laws of Kuwait.