PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 06:44
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Radio Calls

I understand the accident didn't happen in the circuit. Can those familiar with the area advise whether the accident happened in uncontrolled airspace (where pilots are supposed to broadcast their position and intentions in regular intervals, while keeping a listening watch at all times on the FRQ allocated to that area)?

Or was it in an area (controlled, or advisory airspace) where a/c communicate with a controller? Here, a listening watch should equally alert pilots of a potential conflict. The controller may put in further efforts to help with separation and/or to alert a/c of nearby traffic (while I understand that for VFR flights the responsibility to maintain separation remains with the pilots)?

Last question: In the case of this accident flight, would there be recordings of the radio calls made by either aircraft, from the transmission before the accident back to prior take-off? I understand that neither a/c had a CVR, but maybe there are recordings made by ATC?

--

In my experience, even in the busiest of urban weekend flyer traffic, pilots are very responsive to radio calls that indicate the intention to go to the same area ("... for a sightseeing flight over the XYZ dam") or of ending up on conflicting tracks. Pilots would immediately agree to deconflict, either by increasing vertical separation, and/or by agreeing to stay on opposite sides of certain landmarks, and/or by confirming of "having you visual".

(Whereby in case of the other a/c coming towards you with, say, 500 ft vertical separation, I would never see the other a/c more than 5 seconds before it passes me. I guess that time would be even lower, if (i) the vertical separation was lower and (ii) I wasn't actively looking for the target - my 2c worth of contribution to the Mk1 discussion.)