PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 00:50
N13FB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't normally enter public discussions on web sites such as this however I am driven to do so on this occasion by a tidal wave of emotion as a result of Mike's demise.

I am blessed to have been taught during my 3500 hours rotary time by Mike, DRK, Mike Buckland and Ian Shoebridge. In my view; collectively the most talented and professional group of rotary pilots in the UK. Two of those four now are now innocent victims of someone else's mistake it would seem.

In times gone by when I was "Maverick and Invincible" I would have considered TCAS to be an unnecessary gadget, together with Mode S transponders etc. Having recently been flying a relatively new Enstrom (Not my first choice of type) in Texas which is fitted out with every Garmin toy one could imagine, I have learnt that TCAS DOES work. You don't need to look at it, it gives a verbal warning i.e "traffic one mile 12.00".

It is my strong belief that transponders and TCAS should be a legal requirement on ALL aircraft. That includes hang gliders, gliders, paramotors, microlights, spam cans and helicopters. With the one exception of Paramotors, I have owned and flown all those listed. I do not subscribe to the argument that cost is prohibitive. Frankly, if you can't afford it, take up golf.

There have been two occasions over the last 15 years where I was nearly involved in a midair; one in the Manchester low level route flying South late in the day in bright low sunshine when opposing FW traffic skimmed over the top of me with inches to spare and another occasion when I was lifting out of a pub in the Pewsey Vale when a Tiger Moth crossed 100' AGL right to left in front of me whilst performing a beat up. On that occasion I wasn't really bothering to look out in the manner that I have become accustomed to these days because I just assumed that at that height, I was unlikely to meet any conflicting traffic. I survived both of these incidents by pure good fortune. TCAS as fitted to Previously mentioned Enstrom I believe would have prevented both heart stopping moments.

Its impossible to legislate against every accident however in the ever increasing busyness of the skies, especially in South of England, why not use the equipment thats already out there to help keep us alive? It no replacement for the MK1 eyeball, just a compliment to it which in yesterdays accident (Which occurred only two miles from my home) may just have saved Mikes life.

I wish I had taken the opportunity to thank Mike for all he taught me before his demise.