PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cui Bono? fuel ordering and KPI?
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 00:28
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a captain nicknamed 'Vapours'.
Folks,
Remember him well, wasn't at his retirement presentation (out burning a bit of A1) but I am told the then DFO presented him with a large flagon of said Jet A1.

As long as there are airlines, there will be airline managements, as long as there are airline managements there will be drives to reduce costs, some will be sensible, some will be "widely discussed" and some best not discussed in polite company at all.

Most will die a well deserved death, because, at the day to day operations level, and over the top fuel orders are one, there are not too many variable costs. Hence "surplus fuel" coming up on a regular cycle over the years. The current "app" is just part of the regular cycle, it will not influence the thoughtful and conscientious pilot in command, and that is the great majority.

When it comes to fuel, the powers of the pilot in command are, in most western jurisdictions, robust in law, and I hope they are never eroded (but please look closely at the soon to emerge CASA AU CASR Part 91 NPRM, very iffy and fluffy in this area, and also seeks to expand the power of ATC to "issue orders" on pains of strict liability criminal offenses by pilots) because by far the majority of pilot's fuel orders are prudent results based on the circumstances of the day.

Will "the law", unions and regulatory authorities severally or jointly stand up to coercive airline management in the future, to maintain the authority of the pilot in command ??

I certainly hope so, but looking at some of the actions and in-actions of CASA AU, I am far from 100% confident. For those many countries where there is no real "rule of law", fingers crossed.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 19th Nov 2017 at 12:46. Reason: spelling