PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Spitfire pilot Joy Lofthouse Dies Aged 94
Old 18th Nov 2017, 15:29
Georgeablelovehowindia
Death Cruiser Flight Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gordon is the Waddington talk down controller in this film Delta 8-3 at 20:37, although that isn't his voice as I remember it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGmyE3l65pY

Joan used to refer to Gordon as "Dear Old Perkin Warbeck" - they had known one another since much earlier times at Woodley. I can confirm what Discorde says. If you found yourself being addressed as "Dear Old Thing" she was either (a) warming to you or (b) looking for some useful idiot to fill in her logbook for her - she didn't like 'hoverers!'

I remember the day she went off to court to stand trial for that low flying incident, and to be perfectly honest she herself didn't seem too optimistic about the verdict. The relief when she came back and told us the case had been dismissed. I think that was the end of what had been a nice little earner as a sideline to her normal flying instructing.

Last edited by Georgeablelovehowindia; 18th Nov 2017 at 15:42. Reason: Remembered the day of the court case.