PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5 minute power limits R44
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 07:21
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
A cautionary tale for those in favour of the 'rinse and repeat' concept.

Many moons ago I was paired with a pilot, day on/day off, doing gravity survey and I was unable to match his performance every morning where he managed the longer distances in rising OAT than I could achieve. Operating from Tom Price, Western Australia in ~36C days in a Bell 206BIII.

It turned out that he was pulling 2.5 minute power limits, backing off below the limiting TOT for a few seconds and then straight back into the higher limit.

Someone was looking after me as I was scheduled to fly on Saturday, but he had broken a skid tube on Friday and the aluminium welder was in the pub by the time he returned. The ginger beer decided to call off Saturday's flying and do the skid repairs plus a case half change on the Saturday.

When the case halves were pulled, most of the stators had failed and were bending into the path of the compressor blades. It wouldn't have lasted 30 minutes flying had I flown that day over tiger country with nowhere to go in a forced landing.

I realise that the R44 is a piston and the reason for the R44 5 minute limit is the topic of this thread, but the idea of pulling to a higher limit then backing off only to pull back to the higher rating is one that I cannot and will not agree with, purely from turbine experience.