PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cui Bono? fuel ordering and KPI?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 02:33
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Keg, i work for a different airline but I am with you, i have never felt any pressure to manage my fuel loads in an adverse way.

I have been given information on how much it costs to carry fuel, what the impact of that is on the business and how I can make an impact on those costs, BUT i see that information that I can use when deciding on what fuel to load.

On a previous widebody type i flew with an individual that wanted to load an extra 300kg on for a reason that i wont go into here, but on face value it was not an unreasonable line of thought.

Except, the aeroplane doesnt assign fuel to various segments, i.e. that extra 300kg you loaded is for taxi, or the extra xyz kg is for whatever.

To my way of thinking 300 kg, 500kg even up to a tonne is neither here or there in the grand scheme of things (note the numbers vary depending on the aircraft -300kg might be a significant number in a 737 but isnt necessarily a worthwhile number in an airbus or boeing widebody).

I prefer to make an assessment on the entirety of the flight and then adjust the fuel to suit and where i need to make adjustments i will do so in multiple tonnes, rather than stick 300kg on, if i need fuel i will make it a meaningful amount 1500kg-3000 kg - 5000 kg. I will play with alternates to give me more and better options and i will make decisions enroute that might see me pull the pin and divert to an enroute airport before i put myself in an untenable position (that said though i have not diverted or put myself in an untenable position so it is a bit academic i guess).

I have however looked at the taf, ttf and other available info, including past experience, and said that tempo starting an hour after our sta is more than likely to come forward so I am loading the juice on now. Was it technically required? No, but on almost every occasion where I have done that there has been a significant enough change in the weather such that the extra fuel has been the thing that has avoided a diversion.

There is a lot to be said for listening to that little voice in the back of your head.

The above is a very long winded way of saying that i welcome as much info as the company can give me to allow me to make better, more informed decisions, but I dont feel pressure to not carry extra fuel.

I do however make sure I have considered every option, including enroute diversions and different levels, speeds etc when i need to limit payload to allow me the fuel i want. That, to me, is good airmanship and good management.