PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 17:09
NutLoose

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Vendee, mine was similar at Bruggen, went out to refuel two Jags in a HAS, we had them both tail in and the bowser would reverse in down the left side near the little office, the doors were open when I arrived so I started to get the jets ready, the bowser turfed up and we exchanged waves to acknowledge each other. He then proceeded to reverse in as I was opening the refuel panels when there was an almighty bang, looking over I could see he had hit the door locking bar that had gone straight through the tank. The driver just sat there obviously in shock, I legged it to the cab and informed him he had hit the door.... "What" "you have ruptured you tank mate".... "What" "your pissing fuel out"..... "What" "look in your other mirror"..... "****" "get it out of here". He drives out the HAS as I call for assistance and the fire brigade, I then isolate the jets, manually close the doors, drop the napalm seals and kill all power in the HAS, by now help is arriving and the Flight Sgt picks up a sandbag and thinking he is the little Dutch boy attempts to plug the tear that was of Titanic proportions. By now Everyman and a dog have arrived and they are attempting to offload the contents into another tanker, looking over the driver who is actually really a nice chap is making a statement to the plods and turning he points at me.
Previously in the year Germany had surveyed the site and cleaned it up, as in your case they then had to excavate out a large area again. A board of enquiry was formed and along I go to be interviewed, the driver said I was marshalling him in (I wasn't) he then said he lost sight of me ( but carried on). They then pulled out and presented an MT order requiring two marshallers for tankers and had I read it, nope, I then said it was standard practice for one to Marshall it in across the station (spread the poo far and wide ) it turned out the Squadrons had rejected the order and it was never issued. End of the day, the poor driver got a £25 fine, the bowser was written off, lots of soil was removed and burnt, and I was commended in my actions in isolating the aircraft away from the danger and for my prompt and effective actions... As for the Flight Sgt, he just got wet.