PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Classic- A/T de-select speed
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 12:43
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
As a result, 'not recommended' is interpreted as 'not allowed' by the many, but not all. If some XAA's approve it what argument do those who deny it use?
Interesting points made Rat 5. It becomes a problem when type ratings are undertaken in the simulator and students are actively encouraged to thoroughly study the various FCOM and FCTM.
Depends too on the simulator instructor's previous background. So one instructor says its OK to de-select speed and leave the AT armed. Another says just do what the Boeing books say. There are no crashes either way so the student decides on the safety of contraception - i.e.de-selects speed just in case so he won't stall on final.

There are pilots who get twitchy without the crutch of some sort of automation. I have seen them flying visual circuits in the simulator with the flight director on, using split cues - that is pitch bar showing altitude hold and heading mode off. The fact that the altimeter is the primary pitch "bar" for level flight escapes them. Thus their addiction to the automatics need another aid - the FD pitch bar. I could be naïve, but IMHO Boeing have carefully considered the pros and cons via extensive research before committing recommended techniques to paper. That presumably includes switching off the autothrottle system when manually flying on final approach in a 737