PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 17th Nov 2017, 10:27
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawk98
Going on a bit of a tangent - but would anyone happen to know whether the RAF CBAT is the exact same as the RN's FAT exam? I've passed CBAT for pilot but am now probably going to apply to the Navy as well for pilot/aircrew, but cannot find any detail regarding if they are the same test (they're both done at OASC at Cranwell so I guess it's likely). So if anyone could shed any light on if the Navy would accept a valid CBAT it would be much appreciated as I don't fancy another trip up to Lincolnshire to do it, if it can be avoided!

Cheers,
Hawk
Just an opinion, but I'd suspect they are the same but with potentially different weightings for the various tests. When I went through the aptitude system in the mid-late 90s I briefly considered both RAF and AAC. From memory the AAC said they used the same tests but scored differently and with a different pass mark of 90 vice 110. I think the lower mark was down to the fact that it was effectively a test for entry to a short flying grading course where they weeded more out rather than full on flying training. Not sure if the same principles still apply, but if they do I suspect differences won't be huge and would reflect nuances of aircraft types and mission profiles rather than the need for a minimum level of aptitude just to get the thing airborne and back again in one piece.

So potentially the RN might say no if they weight the tests differently. You could just ring the RN and ask, they don't bite and you won't be the first to ask that question.