PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 04:57
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least the CPL training provides experience in a wider field of operation and planning than a PPL.
Its been a long time since I did my PPL. But I would question this. Certainly CPL training does nothing to improve marginal weather flying or decisions. When I was still flying VFR and was concerned with marginal weather, I got an instructor and went and practiced it. But in the modern world of risk assessments and set syllabus, this type of thinking has been erased from flying schools by CASA. Flight training is no longer done in weather anywhere near as bad as I used to train in.

I loved my CPL training. But in terms of flying skills, frankly I learned more from Mountain flying in NZ, VFR in haze in Thailand, Aerobatics in Australia and doing navs in aerobatic aircraft with no nav instruments. Most of the pilots whose skill and judgement I really admire hold a simple PPL.

The CPL allows you to fly an aircraft for hire or reward
This is a CASA construct that is meaningless in my opinion.

You don't need a special licence to drive a car or truck for hire or reward. You don't need it for a boat. Why are aeroplanes so special? If the CASA flight training syllabus and BFR regime does not equip a pilot with all the skills required to be safe for this type of flight, then it should be fixed.

An Angel Flight accident is tragic and tear jerking and I find it as distressful as anyone. But quite frankly, the life of an Angel Flight passenger is worth no more and no less than that of one of my own kids. I think this goes for all Angel Flight pilots.

Not too many CPLs are ending up in the news headlines at the moment
Firstly, thats not completely true. Have a look at the first page of the ATSB aviation incidents. There have been quite a few airline incidents and secondly, do you know how many CPL's there are compared with PPL? Its a huge number difference.

A question that should be asked however, is why is there such a small proportion of the pilot population in Australia that have IFR ratings compared with the US ? Why does CASA make instrument ratings so difficult? How many lives would be saved if it was as cheap & easy to get and maintain an instrument rating in Australia as the USA?