PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 03:28
CaptCloudbuster

Received 129 Likes on 37 Posts
Nothing's changed

When I started just after the Pilots Dispute we then got the "recession we had to have". Jobs were very difficult to get and there was absolutely no movement within regional airlines. I spent many years living in an Aboriginal Community during the 90's as a result. I eventually got lucky with a Regional and the thought of one day flying a Dash 8 in Command before retirement was what sustained me and all the contemporaries I associated with. (A regional mortgage quite achievable on that payscale).

Just at the moment I was able to take a slot on a regional jet the Company stipulated a requirement to sign an individual contract outside of the EBA. Much angst and turmoil ensued, I remained on my turboprop. (Sounds familiar - history keeps repeating).

It didn't stop us though from dreaming big, taking holidays to do Maths/Physics, cramming together for our CX interviews to hopefully, maybe getting that one shot at the big time....

My point is that in order to enjoy the journey one needs first the passion. It's always been so and it will always be so.

If you don't have it, you won't be able to withstand the **** conditions required to eventually get a gig on a regional turbo prop. That's all you can reasonably expect from the get go.

Any further up the ladder is a bonus. Don't forget to enjoy the whole ride.

I'm sure today's challenges are different - I don't think though that it's any better or worse. All this will fall on deaf ears however, you see we also had negative pilots back then too..... I used to hearten myself in the knowledge though that people with these attitudes made it easier for people like me with a positive outlook (and the others of like mind with whom I chose to associate) to shine and recognise when an opportunity arose.

Good luck to all...