PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Spitfire pilot Joy Lofthouse Dies Aged 94
Old 16th Nov 2017, 19:13
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
WW2 Spitfire pilot Joy Lofthouse Dies Aged 94

This woman was a true Aviatrix.
WW2 Spitfire pilot Joy Lofthouse dies aged 94 - BBC News

Veteran pilot Joy Lofthouse, who flew Spitfires and bombers for the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) during World War Two, has died at the age of 94.
Mrs Lofthouse joined the ATA in 1943 after spotting a notice in a magazine calling for women to learn to fly.
She was one of only 164 female pilots, known as the Attagirls, who flew aircraft from factory to airfield.
The Royal International Air Tattoo said she was an "amazing character with even more amazing stories".
The ATA was formed in 1940 when, despite some male opposition, women were allowed to fly military trainer and communications aircraft.
Mrs Lofthouse, from South Cerney in Gloucestershire, learned to fly before she learned to drive.

In an interview last year, she said: "I saw this caption in the Aeroplane magazine that said the ATA had run out of qualified pilots and were training. So I applied and I was in."
Trained at Thame in Oxfordshire, she learnt to fly all types of single-seater aircraft but without a driving licence, she said she found "taxiing much more difficult than flying".
"We had nine days of technical training - it wasn't very technical - no navigation, just map reading," she said.
"After about 10 hours [of flying], they sent you off solo. My first solo flight I think you're only afraid if you're going to find the airfield again."
And without being sexist what a stunner when she was young. [IMG][/IMG]