PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cataracts
Thread: Cataracts
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2017, 13:55
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gingernut... I had to look up the word 'asymptomatic' The interesting thing is that I have no symptons of cataracts, no family histry, and no risk factors. Possibly I need to reduce UV-B exposure through sunglasses, which I have never like wearing.

The doctor I saw at the NHS eye clinic said I should see a optometrist for corrective vision. So today I went to Specsavers, I have to say very thorough, it took over an hour. I went there because, because I like thier adverts, which are based on forty and fifty something men in denial that they need prescripton glasses. That is me.

Anyway, good news, the optometrist said the cataracts are in a really in a very early stage, and infact he said had I not mentioned it he might have missed it!!!!! i think the doctor at the hospital perhaps should have said that it was very early stage, downside is that the progression of cataract varies, but while I am asymptomatic, I'm reasonably happy, but if things get worse, hopefully later rather than sooner, that would be good.

The optimetrist said that with precription glasses I would be 20/20 vision, so the options were:
(a) One pair of reading glasses, one pair of distant glasses.
(b) BiFocals
(c) Varifocal

I really had not thought this through, but he felt Varifocal would be best in my circumstances, for example looking an approach plate, instrument panel and long distance, but I not sure how this affects the ovehead panel.

So my questions are:

(a) If I need corrective vision for short and long vision what is the best options, both in relation to flying and every day life?
(b) Is it diificult to adapt to varifocals, I was told 10% of people do not get on with them, what is your experience, flying or otherwise?
(c) My other question with a prescription which gives me 20/20 vision, do I need to declare to my UK AME, the fact I was diagnosed with the very early stages of cataracts, which might equally be present in thirty or forty year olds? My concern is that the UK CAA medical branch will go a little overboard on this?