PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call - your worst one!
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2017, 13:11
Grass_Strip_Goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Years ago as a student Flexwing pilot. Somerset, slightly murky Sunday afternoon, looked to Port as part of my scan and there was a glider coming straight at us! Instructor yanked the bar in from the back seat and we passed under it. I do recall from my glance left that the pilot was young, had ginger hair and glasses. Was "bricking it" for several minutes afterwards.

2. Last year, grass strip, 3 Axis microlight with a 582 Blue Top, usual careful pre-flight, lined up, took off and just as I turned crosswind revs died right back, headed for a field close by but found backing the throttle off to about two thirds made the engine run reasonably smoothly, managed to creep up another hundred feet, fly a very abbreviated circuit and land with not problem. There was a piece of a blade of grass in the rear carb float bowl, absolutely no idea how it got in there but it was being sucked up onto the main jet when throttle was at high demand. ALWAYS float bowls off as part of my pre-flight nowadays.