PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cui Bono? fuel ordering and KPI?
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2017, 05:12
witwiw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once worked for a carrier in India where they calculated individual pilot average fuel burns and compared where your average fuel burn on respective sectors sat among your peers - much like Ryanair.

I remember being "chatted to" for regularly taking an extra tonne or two of fuel on the BOM-DEL sector thus pushing my average burn up. DEL was notorious for short notice closures due to VIP movements - closures that weren't Notamed for "security' reasons - and on three such closures a bit more fuel allowed me to hold those 15 - 20 minutes until the VIP departed whilst other company aircraft couldn't hold and went to their alternates. My extra burn was nothing compared to the typically 3-hour disruptions for those aircraft that diverted let alone the 5 extra tonnes or so burnt to-and-from their alternates - albeit at a good average burn, though. LOL!!!

When I politely but firmly drew this to their attention all criticism stopped. They realised that their fuel saving figures were rubbish and that "average" burns were meaningless if more fuel overall was being used, even if it was at a lower hourly rate.

That's what happens when the bean counters get involved.

Last edited by witwiw; 16th Nov 2017 at 05:26. Reason: typo