PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cataracts
Thread: Cataracts
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2017, 00:36
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Oooo, sorry. I forgot I was on the serious section. But I promise to stop rambling when I'm dead.

I raced to get the second eye done because 10 years ago a vitrectomy in the UK and cataract in the US gave me years of brilliant vision. A small cyl correction was the same, idicating it was the cornea that was responsible and unchanged.

My main battle right now is with depression and getting back to 20/20 was psychologically disproportionate. Back to the science -

Lying with the gas or air bubble at the back - i.e. face down - is because of the work on the retina. An ordinary vitrectomy should be pretty easy to live with afterwards, though obvious care needed. It seems the bubble helps hold the microscopically thin retina in place better than swirling water.

One should soon - 24 hours - be able to see over the bubble. Just. A week and there was only a small ball left. Danger! Look down while chopping food and the bubble goes up and leaves you with one eye and impaired judgement.

A cataract almost always follows a vitrectomy, though one American surgeon reckons he introduces the new water in a way that stops that happening. If that were true, the procedure would have spread world-wide by now. One would hope.

I'm only partly pleased with my vitrectomy and peel and then cataract this time around. The latter was promised to be by the consultant that did my vitrectomy, but some young girl did it and the result is somewhat annoying. In fact, bloody poor and took much pressure and YAG laser to get rid of a lot of detritus.

My argument for getting things as I want them is because I'm unusual at my age with doing fine work and hours on the computer. In other words, a need to work. The result was worse than a walk-in jobbie in Texas, c $2,500 which was fine.

I can not imagine wanting two focal distances. Just the slight difference drives me crazy. All my technical specs don't work.

It seems I have a fold in the lens. Specsavers say they see that 'all the time'. After all, they oblate the lens and wash it out, then put the new one in a small hole and unfold it - if you're lucky.

They think I'm a pain because I have 20-20 vision, but I'm a pain because some days it's perfect and others certain bits degrade the vision. A bit of vitreous membrane and the lens fold. Inner and outer issues. Together its tedious at worst and of course they see a lot of desperate people, many of them young. It's hard to justify pressing to get things right but I could have had perfect vision with a bit more care. But I'm like that with everything. If it's not perfect I'll do it again and again and again until it's bloody well right. I have not however, managed figured out a way to operate on my own eye.

If I hadn't lost all quality of hearing I'd be off to Morfields - which has been offered, but struggling for perfection now is kind of wasted. I had no idea how much I'd miss piano, but I fear the two carpal tunnel ops I've had are wasted after a virus got into me cochlea. Next lifetime perhaps, though I can imagine being given a life of spider for being such a pain in this life.

I've only just found out spiders don't have ears, which made talking to my bathroom spider something of a waste of time.

The sequel. I gave Spidey a drink most nights, but he started to get a bit big. I helped him into a glass - minding his little feet* - and took him to the greenhouse for the warmth. A bloody great spider ran out and killed him and then ran back from whence he came. If this is not bad enough, just imagine what my trusting Spidey is thinking of me in spider heaven.

*Oh, have you ever looked at a spider's feet at about times 30? Totally bewilderinly beautiful. Like three tortoiseshell combs. I kept a leg for showing the kids with my old Whatson Scientific which is here now. (Checked me own vasectomy with that, I did.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Microscopy.jpg (754.9 KB, 2 views)