PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of buying a share
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 19:03
2hotwot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a lot of balancing of time against cost to be done.

Groups - other members may want the aeroplane on good days, and maybe to take it away. Availability of aeroplane has to tie in with availability of instructor. Cheap group financing may leave you exposed to unexpected expenses i.e. breakdown repairs or for maintenance. Breakdowns can take longer to fix with no alternate aeroplane available for the duration, meaning you may not be able to fly for a month or more. You will have to pay an instructor their 'private' rate.

Clubs - Probably have access to more than one aircraft so maintenance downtime/unavailability is minimised or eliminated. Instructor will almost always be available at the same time as the aeroplane. Costs are fixed per hour flown and will be realistic to the actual running cost of the operation. The cost per hour for the instructor may well be cheaper. Clubs want to get you into the air as often as possible.

My experience is that you cannot run something like a 150 cheaper than club hourly rates.

The advantage of a group aeroplane over club hire is mainly that you can take it away, for example, for a day and only fly for an hour. There is also of course the pleasure of ownership.

I would say learn at a good club and think about ownership when the licence arrives.