PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new law on "ageism" - where does it leave pilots and crew who want to carry on!?
Old 14th Sep 2003, 23:51
Raas767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I should elaborate a little. My original argument still stands but I do have empathy for those pilots whose careers have been interupted by bankruptcy and liquidation. I flew with a guy that was with Eastern for twenty years before he went out on strike. He started over at my airline and was a captain for only a few years before having to retire. He had to continue working as a sim pilot to keep his kids in college. Had I been in his shoes I would have had the same attitude. A large majority, however, of the pilots pushing for new legislation are pilots that have had solid and financially stable careers. They want to keep flying because they don't have anything better to do. It seams very selfish to want a change a rule that has been to your benefit right up till the end.
I don't think there are any professional pilots, at least in the States, that started their careers before the mandatory age 60 rule. I think that changed in 1958 or 59.
As for my age determining my attitude. Trust me, If I could I would go right now. September 11 changed this industry for ever.