PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320, Rule of thumb for gear down: GS*10 + Airport Elevation
Old 15th Nov 2017, 12:13
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
In the airline I work for we must be stabilized by 1000 feet AAL. If not a go around must be initiated. The way I do especially for high airfield elevation I work out my configuration based on the distance instead of the altitude. It’s much easier as you don’t need to make any calculation really: I aim to be fully configured At latest at 5 miles from the threshold which is on a 3 degree approach equivalent to 1500 feet AAL. Usually the guys will put the gears down at radio altimeter alive (2500 feet AGL) which is roughy 8+ miles from threshold. Depending of the wind, aircraft type and assuming I have only flaps 1 or 2 max, I will put the gears between 8 miles ( 2400 feet AAl) or 6 miles (1800 feet AAL) at latest to make sure I’m stabilized at 1000 feet. With a strong tailwind, the A319 are very reluctant to slow down. It works pretty well for me. Be careful as sometimes the ILS DME is not the same as the threshold distance. In that case better insert the runway in the progress page and rely on it.

Last edited by pineteam; 15th Nov 2017 at 12:50.