PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 04:02
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your(sic) also forgetting that in the medical industry that doctors control the supply of doctors.
The key question pilots collectively should ask is what is the point of paid representation?

The shortage is structural.

At every EBA we are told we have to give something up to keep pace with inflation. The end result is that intelligent people that do their due diligence will choose another career path.

Yes in Australia, in the late 1980's Bill Kelty, Hawke and Keating effectively removed arbitrated outcomes holding them at nominal CPI, which is way behind REAL CPI.
As such real wage decline occurred across many industries. As real purchasing power declines, the economy lags. The result for the policy maker is reduce the cost of debt all in order to keep the consumerism wheels turning.

Now in Australia the real estate (Morrison) treasurer laments wages growth. It is wages growth (in real terms) that drives increased spending and growth.

Companies the western world over cannot understand what Henry Ford summarised for them over 100 years ago and I paraphrase:

'If i fail to pay my workers enough to buy my cars then I do not have a viable business.
Everything has a limit.

Suppressing real wage growth in aviation is two fold:

1. Learning to fly becomes too expensive (relative to other pursuits)
  2. Pilots leave as the return on an investment is insufficient.
combine this with an aging demographic and pilots relaise their collective representation has assisted the denigration by:

Perhaps "giving up something" for EBA's is standard across all industries.

Perhaps pilots in Europe, Asia, Australia and North America may want to critically ask what is left to give up and what if any push back is their representation making?