PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1960’s Airforce One
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 03:31
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My deepest thanks to Airbubba for confirming that old rumor about the Dewdrop (now spelled properly) and the link to more information. I was, while at LASI, occasionally assigned to work the VC-121A and B aircraft. On one notable occasion, we were preparing to deliver one of them after Phase Check and I was assigned to comb the carpet in the cabin so all the nap lay in a rearward direction. Yes, actually use a horse comb on the rugs. Fortunately I had my FAA A&P licenses to qualify me for the task.
Later, when at Eastern Air Lines I was assigned as Tech Rep to many White House Press Charters in one of our DC-8. I rode jump seat in the cockpit. We had to get the Press on the ground ahead of Air Force One so the photographers could take that same picture of President Nixon emerging from in the open door of Air Force One with hand upraised. It was eye opening to see the preparations ahead of a visit by the President. Also was revealing to see the harried and nervous Secret Service men doing the utmost to protect him. I was lucky though, never had a mechanical delay on my aircraft on any of my trips. I believe my head would have been posted on a a pike if I had.