PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cataracts
Thread: Cataracts
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 00:02
Consol

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had one at 46, just one eye. It took a while to diagnose as the opticians didn't think it was likely but it does happen. It is a wonderful, painless and minimally invasive procedure taking ten minutes under a local. I was recommended to go for a mono focus lens considering my being a pilot, less risk of complication but a slightly increased need for reading glasses (hardly any, it was already happening).

I drove the next day and no one could see anything different about my eye within a couple of days. As well as the improved clarity I also get slightly more light and colour through the new lens. Best of all they can actually fix some or even all of any myopia you may have by having a correction in the new lens! In answer to your question they normally last a life time. Do exactly what your told regarding drops etc.

I'm not in the CAA jurisdiction but I do think six weeks is excessive, I was flying in less than a month and really was back to normal after about 2.5 weeks. Initially it was a bit blurred and some sensitivity to light was there for the first two weeks then went completely.

You will have a risk factor for detached retinas after so take careful note of the symptoms your consultant will inform you of. Overall nothing to worry about.