PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2017, 20:42
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the ALPA files. They are mostly clippings. A quick scan shows several items of significant interest.

First, there's a cover letter for the ALPA report being sent to the CAB in August '62. I mentioned in my document that the ALPA seemed to be in a rush to get their report out, and the cover letter suggests that the reason is so the ALPA could put a stake in the ground regarding the crew. As a union voice, this is a major role for the ALPA, and they wanted to get the ALPA view into the CAB report. I blamed this rush for the apparent errors in the ALPA report.

Second, the Chicago Trib carried a graphic on their last page showing the CAB scenario of a right wing hit, the plane spinning around and sliding backward some 800 feet. As I demonstrated, the plane had to have slid forward until it flipped at the end. I called it unconscionable that the CAB would put this out on the afternoon of the crash. The CAB never walked back this scenario, and the ALPA clippings include a much better image than the one I got from the Trib microfilm conversion.

Finally, there is a closeup of a piece of debris on the railroad tracks. If I can identify its location in the wing, this will tell us that the wing was destroyed at least to that station at the tracks. My maintenance manuals may or may not allow me to identify it.

This is an exciting development, and thanks again to cordwainer.