PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call - your worst one!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2017, 12:14
semmern

Location: Utterly insignificant little blue-green planet, unregarded yellow sun, unfashionable end, western spiral arm, Milky Way
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checked a guy out on the Tiger Moth. We came out of the bottom of a falling leaf maneuver, a bit lower than I would have liked. Say, about 1000-1200 ft AGL. The guy in the back lowered the nose and applied full power immediately. Too soon, so we flicked into a spin. Managed to save it in about half a turn, but we got a REALLY close look at the treetops underneath!

This was an experienced GA and King Air Air ambulance pilot, but he hadn't flown much aerobatics. Learning moment for me was to never assume anything, like the assumption that such an experienced guy wouldn't do anything like that.

Another one, also in a Tiger Moth. Was on our way to an airshow, four Tiger Moths in formation. A really bumpy day. One of the worst I've experienced actually. Took off with a full tank, but somewhere along the way to our first fuel stop, the primer button on top of the carburettor came loose and fell off, allowing fuel to flow through the overrun pipe in addition to what was being ingested by the engine. The fact that the ride was so bumpy made reading the fuel gauge impossible, but I usually fly by the watch rather than by the fuel gauge anyway. After about an hour and fifteen minutes we landed, and I thought it strange that the little knob on top of the wire all but disappeared below the bottom of the sight glass. Then I shut down and had a look up front, and saw the missing primer button. Safety-wired the mechanism in place to stop the slow leak through the overrun pipe, and filled the tank. I had landed with one and a half gallons remaining!