PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2017, 09:31
greifandpain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
Nothing wrong with what your saying about spacial disorientation, however, we don't know if this is the case yet. personally I'm prepared to pay the benefit of the doubt at this point. Given he only just landed, unless there is a witness that can say I could hear it takeoff but I couldn't see it because of the fog, then we have to accept that he didn't, in which case carby icing would be my next choice in those conditions.

If he didn't notice the power degrade on takeoff, it would get worse he could have just simply descended into the fog in the south west corner, the outcome would be exactly the same. The evidence would melt away and we would never know.

Just thought I would offer an alternate sequence of events at this point
The pilot came into a landing dodging the fog. OK, that,s fine, he was only risking his own life. But having had a difficult time lining up the runway in the landing, what in gods name did he risk the safety of his passengers. Did he not have a duty of care? Not to himself, he apparently was happy to take his chances by himself he had no right to put the passengers in mortal peril.

AND YES the airport WAS fogged in. Twenty minutes later it was clear. Why did the commercial flights not take off. Because it was too foggy for them.