PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maps are obsolete
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 15:58
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam I think the thread you raised is an interesting one, and the glass gage likewise the children of magenta make interesting viewing. But I suppose how much technolgy you want in your life diring recreational activities. Anyone will know how annoying it is going on holiday family, and loading up you car with telephone, digital camers and IPad chargers and a variety of chargers. I rather not have a television or mobile signal, so the children can detox from technology.

I worry that new qualified pilots post qualification actually develop their navigation skills, likewise if the newly qualified MPL pilots could navigate a light aircraft at night or in IMC at night, let alone recognise geographical features across Europe!

Moving on to single crew or pilotless aircraft, I do not think in the next hundred year a single person will be able to operate an airliner from the ground or in the air, simply down to the action of one person in the Germanwings accident.

Likewise automated self driving trucks and cars, what is the point, if I go somewhere in my car, I rather just drive, and anyone who has used a satnav in their car, the ridiculous route the take you on. Ultimately, from a legal point someone needs to be liable for the car, which I guess means it can not drive you back from the pub if you are over the limit.

To conclude, I think you should not use GPS, VOR's or for navigation until you have mastered dead reckoning, but when you do start using GPS or EFIs you still need to fly by sole reference to charts in the event of electrical failure or system sytems failure. i really wonder if plotting use VOR, NDB and VDF, but no DME or TACAN is a lost art.

Before you all think I am a ludite, I really like Garmin 340 as a Nav/Com setup, but you need to know the basics of DR and plotting. I should add that I usually carry a Garmin 12 XL which in an emergency is great for QDMs to saved runway thresholds so almost as good as localiser/DME, NDB, VDF approaches or SRA's.