PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maps are obsolete
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 15:04
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
I have encountered quite a few examples where paper charts were very much in error.

One of them resulted in a helicopter flying into an island not depicted on the charts being used, with the usual tragic result.

I've also had to fly and operate (as in find my way and land) in terrain where the only available charts were completely blank and annotated "not surveyed". No other navaids were available at the time and GPS was still at the military secret stage, the required satellites were not then even in orbit.

Not too many years ago the CAA miraculously re-situated the 1117' AMSL mast at Princes Risborough to a position to the north west of Kenley. Unfortunately it was the dominant obstacle to the north west of the LHR CTR and thankfully no-one flew into it because it was definitely still in its original place. It was some months before a chart amendment was issued.

The present CAA 1/2 mil charts were issued with errors showing active glider sites as disused airfields.....
Not only CAA charts. For many years, the RAF printed and issued a quarter mil for SE England depicting a couple of gliding/parascending sites to the east of Greenwich meridian incorrectly, the chart maker having placed them west of Greenwich by the same number of degrees as they should have been to the east.

Last edited by chevvron; 14th Nov 2017 at 00:09.