PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cataracts
Thread: Cataracts
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 14:15
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cataracts

I know this has been discussed on here but I wondered was the lastes is on cataracts. I had to go to the urgent eye clinic at the weekend at my local NHS clinic, as I had a concern over an eyesight issues (floaters or detached retina.

Went through triage with a nurse and saw a doctor, we went through the issues and he did what I think is called the slit screen examination. He could not find anything wrong with my eyes in relation to the problem I was experiencing, but he did say I had cataracts, I assume he mean early stage. I was a bit shocked, as I am 55, and I though this condition affects people only in their seventies or eighties. up to know I have just worn reading glasses, but the suggestion is I see an optician for prescrition glasses, and there is nothing wrong with that. He said enventally I might need surgery in terms of replacing the lens. I did some research and much to my suprise between 10 percent and forty percent of men between 54 and 65 have some evidence of cataracts. That is quite alot of airline pilots.

So my questions are as follows:

(a) From intial diagnosis how long have you waited before surgery is required? i say that because I wonder if I could put it off until I'm sixty five?

(b) What age were you when first diagnosed?

(c) What are the results and time to resume a class one medical.

(d) Is this procedure permanent, unlike hip or knee joints that sometimes need replacing?

Many thanks for you answers in anticipation.