PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart William Peach, GBE, KCB, ADC, DL said ......
Old 13th Nov 2017, 09:25
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01
Incidentally, many look at pay in another way if they hit a pension point. Given that from that point on they could leave drawing a pension and start a second career, they are in fact effectively working for a rate of pay equivalent to salary - pension. When people work that one out for the first time you certainly see the cogs turning!
Indeed! As I approached 50, and with the Redundancy Scheme waving in the wind, those calculations proved very interesting. I was not planning for a 2nd career, but instead enjoying the fruits of my earlier labours.

One large spreadsheet later, a couple of salient points emerged:
  • Deducting potential pension from current pay meant I was flogging myself at MoD for a pittance (I think it worked out at about £18k pa.)
  • My pension income would drop me out of the higher-rate tax bracket, with consequential benefit to tax on the interest earned on substantial savings.

Unsurprisingly, I grabbed the Redundancy money and ran away to the hills, hotly pursued a year or so later by my redundancy-successful wife