PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maps are obsolete
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 08:13
Chris Martyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Sam,,,,you're such a naughty boy..This is the one subject that's guaranteed to get the fur flying.
I must say , I'm pleasantly surprised to see such a robust defence of trad.nav methods and whilst I tend to lean towards that myself , I do feel that both sides have their place in aviation.
I've said before that there's nothing that says that the chart supporters are the good guys and "the tablets" are not. You can be a menace in the sky using either method.

As one who has a great interest in classic/vintage types , I do , by extension have an equal interest in traditional navigation methods . I fly purely for fun and get massive enjoyment from it.
If , on the other hand my leanings were towards doing flying like wot the "steely-eyed killers" do , then it would probably make a lot more sense to use more contemporary means of navigation.
There is no right and no wrong method here , as long as people don't drop their standards.
It's been quite an interesting thread so far. I'm sure had it been posted elsewhere , we would be up to about 12 pages now with all the usual backbiting and acidic PM's.

Perhaps it's a bit more 'old school' on here.........[fine by me]